Man Arrested In Connecticut For 1992 Slaying of Mass. Teacher's Aide

Share is reporting that Hampden County District Attorney Anthony Gulluni will hold a press conference about the 25-year-old murder at 2 p.m., Monday at the Hampden County Hall of Justice.

She was also a teacher's assistant in Agawam Middle School.

"We are so grateful for the hard work and determination and faith that all of these investigators had over all these years", said Diane "Dee" Ziegert. She was 24 years old at the time of her murder. Investigators determined she had been raped before being stabbed.

Ziegert was working alone at the Brittany Card and Gift Shop in Agawam on the night of April 15, 1992, when someone apparently kidnapped her, according to Globe archives. Four days later, on Easter Sunday, her body was found in a wooded area close to her place of work. She was reported missing the next morning by the store's day clerk, who found the store open, with its lights on, and Ziegert's vehicle parked outside.

He was discharged from the CT medical facility on Monday and is now being held in CT on a fugitive from justice charge, WSHM reports.

Cuomo deploys National Guard to US Virgin Islands
The Democrat visited the Virgin Islands Friday to survey storm damage to better understand how NY can assist in the recovery. Andrew Cuomo made the announcement of resources for the islands after touring hurricane-ravaged areas there on Friday.

Gary Edward Schara, 48, of West Springfield, was taken into custody in Stafford at Johnson Memorial Hospital, according to the Hartford Courant. The money in the store's register and her purse were undisturbed.

Police made headway in the case after distributing a computer-generated picture past year, using DNA found at the scene to estimate what a possible suspect would look like, reports said.

Last year, Gulluni said investigators found a single source male DNA from an unknown individual that was developed from various items seized from Zeigert's body and the crime scene.

Schara was located in CT the next day after a suicide attempt, and arrested when his DNA was found to be a match.

The following day, investigators tracked Schara to a CT hospital, where he had been taken after he fled MA and attempted suicide as they began to close in on him, Gulluni said. "... No matter how long it takes, you can always be brought to justice".