According to French newspaper La Provence, the attacker was shouting "Allah Akhbar" before he was shot and "neutralized" by soldiers who are part of France's Operation Sentinelle, which was created to protect against such attacks.
The area around Saint Charles train station at Marseille's main train station has been cordoned off and the station has been evacuated.
According to sources, the suspect allegedly shouted "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest) before carrying out the violent crime, The Guardian further stated.
The motive of the driver is yet to be determined but French police say it is not terror linked.
"We have generally avoided these sort of attacks in Marseille", regional president Renaud Muselier, who was speaking from the site of the attack, told BFM TV.
Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez refuses to rule out Liverpool return
Rafael Benitez is still adored at Liverpool for his heroics in delivering the 2005 Champions League . Newcastle United boss Rafael Benitez has hinted that January will be a busy month for the Magpies .
After the stabbings in Marseille, anti-terror prosecutors said they had opened an investigation into "killings linked to a terrorist organisation" and the "attempted killing of a public official". One source said he was known to police for common law crimes.
Interior minister Gerard Collomb said on Twitter he was heading to the scene.
The attack at Marseille's busiest train station took place early this afternoon, as scores of armed police officers and soldiers swarmed the area. "It's hard to do more because when you see the distance between the two bodies and the attacker it's only ten meters, so they intervened quickly".
Earlier this month, four American university students studying overseas were splashed with acid at Saint Charles, the same train station that was the scene of Sunday's attack.