North Korean hackers 'stole US-South Korea war plans'

Share

A Pentagon spokesman, Colonel Robert Manning, said he was aware of the report, but declined to confirm or deny any aspect of it."I can assure you that we are confident in the security of our operations plans and our ability to deal with any threat from North Korea", Manning said."I am not going to address whether or not that [hack] has occurred". In August, Pyongyang threatened to shoot intermediate range missiles towards the vicinity of Guam, a target frequently subjected to sabre-rattling from the North.

Rhee Cheol-hee, a South Korean lawmaker who sis on its parliamentary defence committee, said 235GB of military documents were swiped from the Defence Integrated Data Centre, adding that 80 per cent of these documents have yet to be identified.

Late last month, the U.S. flew B-1Bs over worldwide waters close to the North's east coast.

During Tuesday's drills, the US bombers, which flew from the Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, staged simulated air-to-ground missile striking drills off the peninsula's east coast before flying across the country accompanied by the two South Korean fighters.

The briefing by his defence secretary James Mattis and top military officer General Joseph Dunford "focused on a range of options to respond to any form of North Korean aggression or, if necessary, to prevent North Korea from threatening the United States and its allies with nuclear weapons", according to a brief statement from the White House.

In a move expected to anger North Korea, the bombers took part in firing drills with South Korean F-15K fighter jets over waters to the east and west of the peninsula.

Iowa State QB Jacob Park on personal leave with 'medical concerns'
We are just not making enough plays, and if you do that in this league you're going to come out on the short end of the stick". Iowa State is by far the worst loss of that group, but the blueprint is there for the Sooners to rebound and win the Big 12 .

US Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley made clear Monday what a bind the US is in when it comes to solving the challenge of North Korea's nuclear and missile programs, stating there are "no risk-free options" but said there is also not an "indefinite amount of time" to solve the crisis.

The drills were conducted not long after Lee broke the news about the alleged cyberattacks to reporters.

The South's Yonhap news agency quoted Lee as saying that 235 gigabytes of military documents were taken.

The report said Seoul has been hit by a number of cyber attacks in recent years trying to breach government and corporate websites and has since worked to bolster its cyber defense systems.

The Pentagon also declined to comment specifically on reports of the potential breach, but spokesman Col. Robert Manning said on Tuesday that the United States is "confident in the security of our operations plans and our ability to deal with any threat from North Korea".

Share