Hawaii worker sent false missile alert thinking it was real


Oliveira's report found the employee had been "counseled" for confusing drills for real events at least twice before, once for a fire and once for a tsunami. The drill simply wasn't meant to test whether Americans in Hawaii can run and poop their trousers at the same time. It was the first indication the alert was purposely sent, adding another level of confusion to the misstep that created panic at a time of fear over the threat of North Korean missiles. People were genuinely scared and wanted answers, and in the weeks that have ensued those answers have changed.

News media were contacted and the state agency reached out to local, state and federal officials.

The employee who sent the false alert wasn't aware it was a drill, according to the statement issued Tuesday, which gives a breakdown of what the FCC believes went wrong.

That lack of supervision came into play when the night-shift supervisor contacted the day-shift workers posing as the USA military's Pacific Command, which is in charge of detecting missile threats. The day-shift supervisor thought the test was aimed at outgoing night-shift workers and was unprepared to supervise the test. But the day supervisor thought that this test was for the midnight shift only, not for day shift officers as well.

The FCC said the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency's measures include more supervision of drills and alerts.

The Hawaii employee who sent out a false alarm earlier this month warning of an incoming missile attack said he misunderstood a drill and believed that a ballistic missile had actually been fired, authorities said Tuesday.

The employee made the claim in a written statement but has not been interviewed by the FCC. It has requested that its alert origination software vendor integrate improvements into the next iteration of its software to more clearly delineate the test environment from the live production environment, helping to safeguard against false alerts.

Three day-shift warning officers listened to the recording on speakerphone and one of them "believed that the missile threat was real" and issued a live alert at 8:07 am after hearing the sentence "This is not a drill", it said. The commission wants to be sure emergency alerts on phones do what they're supposed to.

Military university in Kabul rocked by explosions & gunfire
Afghan media reports suggest the attack began with explosions, which may have been a rocket attack on the gate of the facility. Marshal Fahim National Defense University "came under attack" in the country's capital of Kabul , the BBC reported .

"The public needs to be able to trust that when the government issues an emergency alert, it is indeed a credible alert", Pai said.

That's according to a report published Tuesday by America's comms watchdog, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

The report revealed a flaw in the procedure for sending an alert as well.

When the alert hit cellphones across Hawaii, people began frantically trying to determine how long they might have to reach safety, with some seeking shelter in their homes, and what others described as "mass hysteria" on the roads. But his personal responsibility in the panic seemed to be something he couldn't understand.

"They felt he was not capable of doing his job", he said.

Several of his colleagues stated during the investigation that they were not comfortable with having him as a supervisor, part of a two-person team, or even as a member of the state warning apparatus in general.

The announcements are scheduled for 10:30 a.m. today inside Diamond Head, home to the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency. And Hawaii's Governor lamented his inability to clear up the situation faster for his constituents, he couldn't remember his Twitter password at the time.