Reports of President Zuma's resignation dismissed as 'fake news'

Share

President Jacob Zuma says he'll respond tomorrow to an exit order by the leaders of South Africa's ruling party, which had given him 48 hours to answer their demand that he resign, the ANC's secretary general told the state broadcaster Tuesday.

"The national executive committee chose to recall the president in accordance with rule 12.2 of the ANC, which allows the ANC to recall it's deployees", Magashule told reporters at the ruling party's headquarters, Luthuli House.

Mr Zuma faces a no-confidence motion in Parliament set for Feb 22, but has survived several similar attempts to oust him in the past.

The official opposition leader of the Democratic Alliance, Mmusi Maimane, said Monday that his party rejected any kind of compromise deal that would allow Zuma to step aside peacefully and avoid prosecution.

The final decision was taken after a 13-hour marathon meeting that lasted into the early hours of Tuesday and was due to be formally communicated to him in writing.

Nevertheless, he said it is "generally thought in South Africa that the NEC want to get rid of Jacob Zuma". Top ANC officials, including party leader Cyril Ramaphosa, were unable to persuade Zuma to step down immediately.

Maimane said the opposition political parties were also requesting that the programming committee of parliament meet urgently so that a sitting for the motion for the removal of Zuma can be scheduled.

Federal Bureau of Investigation says no evidence of attack on dead Border Patrol agent
A forensic analysis later determined they had nothing to do with Martinez's death or the injuries to Garland. Martinez's fiancée, Angie Ochoa, said she believes the autopsy report is cover-up.

The ANC is expected to brief the media on the outcomes on the NEC meeting at 12pm on Tuesday. "It would draw out this transition period even longer and South Africa would have a longer period of uncertainty about its leadership".

By 10pm local time, there had been no indication from the St George Hotel as to the NEC's decision on whether it would recall Mr Zuma or not. Zuma's government defended the renovations - which included installing a new pool, apparently for fire safety reasons.

In recent weeks, attempts by senior party members to convince Mr Zuma to leave have come to nothing.

In December 2017, the Constitutional Court ruled that parliament failed to uphold the constitution when it failed to hold Zuma accountable for not heeding to the Public Protector's report to pay back the money for non-security upgrades to his private residence in Nkandla.

Previous year the Supreme Court of Appeal ruled that he must face 18 counts of corruption, fraud, racketeering and money laundering relating to a 1999 arms deal.

Zuma, 75, took office in 2009 and is in his second five-year term.

Share