Man accused of kidnapping 4-year-old daughter returning to SC


According to police in Charleston, South Carolina, the missing 4-year old who was abducted Tuesday and later rescued in Riverside, Alabama, was reunited Thursday with her family.

Oliver said the man, who was identified as 37-year-old Thomas Evans, got out of the auto with the child in his arms. Riverside Police Chief Rick Oliver was called to the scene, and there was then a heated exchange he and Evans. On Wednesday, she was discovered and recovered after two men working on a railroad spotted a suspicious vehicle, containing a sleeping man and a little girl, and reported it. Evans reportedly asked Oliver to hold the child, then immediately bolted back to his auto and fled, leading police on a high-speed chase until he crashed at a dead end in Dekalb, Mississippi.

"We give the glory and our thanks that all prayers have been answered, and that Heidi Todd is safe in the hands of the Federal Bureau of Investigation", said Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg said at a news conference Wednesday night where he also said that the girl had been located. More charges were expected to be filed later, authorities said.

Prosecutor Scarlett Wilson says 37-year-old Thomas Evans is wanted for kidnapping.

The mother was later found and taken to a hospital to be treated.

He said Heidi's father is in the Coast Guard and is a former firefighter.

Reports of President Zuma's resignation dismissed as 'fake news'
Zuma's government defended the renovations - which included installing a new pool, apparently for fire safety reasons . Top ANC officials, including party leader Cyril Ramaphosa , were unable to persuade Zuma to step down immediately.

The Charleston Police Department also set up a 24-hour tip line in order to gather information on sightings of Evans. The police chief said the search is expanding to retention ponds in the immediate area.

Agents say surveillance video showed "a white male trying to use the device". The 4-year-old disappeared Tuesday from her home on Johns Island.

Riverside Mayor Rusty Jessup said "it's a great day".

The report says that he was not related nor does he have any legal custody of 4-year-old Heidi Renae Todd.

Around 5 p.m. Eastern Time, someone called police to report the auto being there as suspicious.

Because authorities could not be sure of the circumstances of Heidi's disappearance, they could not issue an Amber Alert.