Conn. officers injured in explosion at standoff


"They are still attempting to locate that suspect", Grant said, according to CBS affiliate WFSB-TV.

The cause of the explosion is still unknown and firefighters from across the region worked for hours to put out the blaze, which was mostly extinguished in the early hours of May 3.

Police were heard continuing to try to coax the man out of the house even after the explosion on Wednesday night. They were members of the regional tactical team, and included five from East Haven, three from North Haven, and one from Branford.

Kelly said that a woman had called police to report domestic violence before the explosion at a barn behind the home Wednesday night.

The area surrounding the property was blocked off by rows of cruisers Wednesday night and most of Thursday.

A set of charred remains were found Thursday in a CT building that exploded amid a standoff with police that left nine officers injured, officials said.

Two of the injured officers were released from the hospital Thursday, according to Freda, who said the others who remained hospitalized were in good spirits.

Mulhern thanked all departments who came out to support the operation.

CA still in the dark over Australia v India day-night test
He said CA wanted to see an upgrade of the Gabba in the coming years. "These things don't happen quickly or easily". India haven't had the best of experiences on the tour down under as the hosts have dictated terms at most times.

Also, police say residents will not be able to access side streets in the area either. The officers "were trying to coax him.out of the house and really try to calm the situation down".

Video shows police rushing to the scene and a massive fire.

Another neighbour, Carol Ann Phelps, lives about 500 m from the explosion but said it was so loud that she initially thought it might have come from her own basement. "The fire department is putting out the flames from up above on the ladder trucks". Officials believe the husband was inside the barn, the Courant reports, but the remains have not yet been identified as officials are waiting for an autopsy. "Obviously a lot of fire damage, so there is going to be a lot of collecting evidence and sifting through and seeing what we have out there". Officers did say that woman who reported the domestic violence incident to officers was not in the home when the suspect barricaded himself in or when the barn exploded. "We still have some precautions in place".

Yale New Haven Hospital told CNN it received nine patients from last night's incident, and that all of them were in fair condition Thursday morning. The state police central district major crime squad took over the investigation late Wednesday and is assisted by state police fire and explosion investigators, the FBI, and ATF.

During the investigation, "there was an explosion of the barn", Grant said. "The noise from all the emergency vehicles was unbelievable", she said.

"Our hearts go out to the courageous first responders who put their lives on the line, and we wish those injured a safe and speedy recovery".

Check back for updates.