CONSUMER ALERT: Salmonella linked to pre-cut melon sickens 60 in Midwest


"The Illinois Department of Public Health is urging people not to eat pre-cut melon purchased from any Walmart store in Illinois, or any of the other affected states, at this time", said IDPH Director Nirav D. Shah, M.D., J.D.

According to the CDC, at least 60 people have fallen ill in five states - six in IL, 11 in IN, 32 in MI, 10 in Missouri and one in Ohio.

WAVE3 reports here that the ISDH say 60 people in five states have been sickened as of June 7.

Caito Foods Indianapolis Service Center and Fresh Cut facility is located at 3120 N. Post Road.

The products were sold at stores including Walmart, Walgreens, Costco and Kroger and other.

If you have purchased any fruit that may have been connected with the recall, the CDC is asking that you throw it away immediately.

Liverpool set to seal move for Nabil Fekir 'on Friday'
But Aulas has revealed that the transfer is not close and is unlikely to happen before the start of the World Cup next Thursday. Fekir has also drawn interest from Chelsea and Bayern Munich, but Liverpool have been aggressive in chasing his signature.

Most people who have been infected with salmonella Adelaide bought pre-cut melon at Walmart or Kroger stores in the Midwest, health officials said.

- If you recently bought some pre-cut melons, you'll want to throw them out depending where they were bought. It's recommended that you do not eat any pre-cut melons from Walmart stores anywhere in the state.

Currently, the outbreak is limited to five states in the Midwest, with 32 of the 60 cases in MI.

The CDC estimates salmonella causes about 1.2 million illnesses, 23,000 hospitalizations and 450 deaths in the United States every year. While the current guidance applies only to pre-cut melons and not whole melons, Hoosiers should always wash whole melons before cutting them to reduce the risk of illness.

Among those who fell ill from the deadly bacteria, 31 sought treatment at a hospital complaining of symptoms such as vomiting, fever and diarrhea, reported.